This annual event will provide time to be informed of what to expect from this year’s Minnesota legislative session, as well as time to meet and greet with your legislators.
League of Minnesota Cities Office
145 University Ave. W
St. Paul, Minnesota
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Thank you to all who attended the 2014 Day at the Capitol!
Will there be a "Major Overhaul of Minnesota’s Out-of-Date Telecom Law?”
This annual event is divided into two parts:
- 9:30-Noon. A meeting at the League of Minnesota Cities building for legislative updates, speakers and prep on this year’s legislative talking points.
- Noon Lunch and networking
- Noon-4 p.m. Meetings and taping sessions with legislators at the Capitol and State Office Building.
MACTA, ACM, LMC Members: $35 (includes box lunch)
Non-Members: $60 (includes box lunch)
Who should attend?
- MACTA Members
- Cable Commissioners and Staff
- PEG Managers, Board Members, Producers, Volunteers and Staff
- City Elected Officials and Staff
- League of Minnesota Cities Members
- Alliance for Community Media (ACM)
- ACM Midwest Regional Members
On the State Level:
- Learn about H.F. 985 and proposed changes to the State’s telecom laws
- Receive an update on the Broadband Task Force
and their latest report and recommendations
- Will state cable franchising arise during this session?
- What other cable and telecom may come up this session?
- What exactly is an "un-session?”
On the Federal Level:
- How will cities’ authority over rights-of-way, tower placement and local governments be impacted this year?
- Is there a new telecom act on the way?
9:15 – 9:30 Welcome and Introduction
9:30 – 11:30 Invited Speakers
- Sen. Dan Sparks (Austin)
- Sen. Matt Schmit (Red Wing)
- Rep. Joe Atkins (Inver Grove Heights)
- Rep. Sheldon Johnson (Saint Paul)
- Danna MacKenzie, Director of Office of Broadband
- Laura Ziegler, Intergovernmental Relations Liaison, League of MN Cities
11:30 – 12:00 Box lunches and networking, individual prep for lobbying visits
12:00 – 4:00 Meet with and interview your Legislators at the Capitol
Legislative Update & Practice Session
MACTA Lobbyists will review MACTA’s positions, provide talking points, and hand-out materials to share with legislators. After lunch, walk to the Capitol for meetings and/or camera interviews with your legislators. MACTA lobbyists and legislative committee members are available to accompany you to your meeting(s) if desired.