Register for the 2014 Day at the Capitol
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Will there be a "Major Overhaul of Minnesota’s Out-of-Date Telecom Law?”
MACTA’s Legislative Committee and Board urge you to participate in MACTA’s "Day on at the Capitol” onWednesday, March 19, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.Register for this event today!
This annual event is divided into two parts:
- 9:30-Noon. A meeting at the League of Minnesota Cities building for legislative updates, speakers and prep on this year’s legislative talking points.
- Noon Lunch and networking
- Noon-4 p.m. Meetings and taping sessions with legislators at the Capitol and State Office Building.
MACTA, ACM, LMC Members: $35 (includes box lunch)
Non-Members: $60 (includes box lunch)
Who should attend?
- MACTA Members
- Cable Commissioners and Staff
- PEG Managers, Board Members, Producers, Volunteers and Staff
- City Elected Officials and Staff
- League of Minnesota Cities Members
- Alliance for Community Media (ACM)
- ACM Midwest Regional Members
On the State Level:
- Learn about H.F. 985 and proposed changes to the State’s telecom laws
- Receive an update on the Broadband Task Force
and their latest report and recommendations
- Will state cable franchising arise during this session?
- What other cable and telecom may come up this session?
- What exactly is an "un-session?”
On the Federal Level:
- How will cities’ authority over rights-of-way, tower placement and local governments be impacted this year?
- Is there a new telecom act on the way?
9:15 – 9:30 Welcome and Introduction
9:30 – 11:30 Invited Speakers
- Sen. Dan Sparks (Austin)
- Sen. Matt Schmit (Red Wing)
- Rep. Joe Atkins (Inver Grove Heights)
- Rep. Sheldon Johnson (Saint Paul)
- Danna MacKenzie, Director of Office of Broadband
- Laura Ziegler, Intergovernmental Relations Liaison, League of MN Cities
11:30 – 12:00 Box lunches and networking, individual prep for lobbying visits
12:00 – 4:00 Meet with and interview your Legislators at the Capitol
Legislative Update & Practice Session
MACTA Lobbyists will review MACTA’s positions, provide talking points, and hand-out materials to share with legislators. After lunch, walk to the Capitol for meetings and/or camera interviews with your legislators. MACTA lobbyists and legislative committee members are available to accompany you to your meeting(s) if desired.